"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."
Richard Feynman, 1965
Research & Publications
I am a third-year PhD under the supervision of Dr Nilanjana Datta at the University of Cambridge. Being members of the Centre for Quantum Information and Foundations, we are both working on quantum information theory (QIT). Please have a look at my academic CV.
In my current research I focus on the following aspects of QIT:
- Second order asymptotics of information-processing tasks
- Strong converse theorems
- Mathematical properties of entropic quantities
For a detailed explanation of these topics, please have a look at the articles below (especially the introductions) and references therein.
- F.L., C. Rouzé, N. Datta, "Data processing for the sandwiched Rényi divergence: a condition for equality," arXiv:1604.02119 [quant-ph], 2016.
- F.L., M.M. Wilde, N. Datta, "Strong converse theorems using Rényi entropies," arXiv:1506.02635 [quant-ph], 2015.
- S. Beigi, N. Datta, F.L., "Decoding quantum information via the Petz recovery map," arXiv:1504.04449 [quant-ph], 2015.
- F.L., N. Datta, "Second order asymptotics of mixed quantum source coding via universal codes," arXiv:1407.6616v4 [quant-ph], 2014.
- N. Datta, F.L., "Second-order asymptotics for source coding, dense coding and pure-state entanglement conversions," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 61(1), pp. 582-608, 2015. arXiv:1403.2543
- N. Datta, F.L., "A limit of the quantum Rényi divergence," Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 47 045304, 2014. arXiv:1308.5961
- "Second order asymptotics of quantum mixed source coding," presented at QIPC 2015, Leeds, United Kingdom, September 2015. (contributed)
- "Second Order Asymptotics in Quantum Information Theory: Quantum Source Coding," presented at Young Researchers in Mathematics 2015, Oxford, United Kingdom, August 2015. (invited)
- "Strong converse theorems using Rényi entropies," presented at Beyond I.I.D. in Information Theory, Banff, Canada, July 2015. (invited)
- "Strong converse theorems using Rényi entropies," presented at QIP 2016, Banff, Canada, January 2016.
- "A limit of the quantum Rényi divergence," presented at QIP 2014, Barcelona, Spain, February 2014.
- "Strong converse theorems using Rényi entropies," seminar talk at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, U.S.A., January 2016.
University of Cambridge
- Michaelmas term 2015: Exercise class for the course "Quantum Information Theory" lectured by Will Matthews (graduate level course)
- Michaelmas term 2014: Exercise class for the course "Quantum Information Theory" lectured by Will Matthews (graduate level course)
- Michaelmas term 2013: Exercise class for the course "Quantum Information Theory" lectured by Nilanjana Datta (graduate level course)
Born in Vienna, Austria. In my spare time I like to play the guitar, read, listen to music, play (european) football, get better at cooking, and travel. I'm generally interested in pretty much everything.